Cinco de Mayo is a day synonymous with flowing rivers of margaritas and molten cheese madness on crispy tortillas. A day where the only thing that’s salty is your rim and floppy sombreros are considered the fashionable norm. Tequila… tekillya… to kill ya… see what I did there? Those are my personal feelings on the sauce. Not everyone can slam down the fiery hooch like our south of the border counterparts, but still, peeps want to celebrate in their own way! I’m adding a green filter to my favorite holiday and sharing with you how to have an elevated Cinco de Mayo, one bite or sip at a time. Simple, but glorious, the recipes I’m going to share are outrageously good Mexican food. So read on, mi amigo:
'CORN STAR' CON QUESO DIP
- 1 tablespoon MagicalButter Butter [read our HOW TO: MagicalButter Butter]
- 1 small onion (white or red), diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced and seeds taken out
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the MagicalButter butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat on the stove, add the corn, onion and jalapeno. Let it cook until slightly charred, mix it up and let it char again, about 6-10 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the cheese, mayo, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into the skillet already hot on the stove and combine with skillet contents.
3. Cook over medium-low heat until the cheese has melted. When all melty and ooey gooey, sprinkle the top with cilantro and green onions.
'HIGH-FIVE' HONEY LIME PUNCH
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Fresh fruit (optional), chopped into bite size pieces
1. In a pitcher, whisk together the cold water and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Pour in the MagicalButter honey and mix until well blended. Stir in lime juice.
3. Pour in club soda and give a quick stir.
4. Add in the ice and top off with fresh fruit.
'HIT IT, DON'T PIT IT' GUACAMOLE
- 4 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup firmly packed cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using a fork, mash together avocados, red onion, garlic, MagicalButter oil, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl.
2. Guacamole should be chunky. If you want a smooth consistency, bypass the form and put ingredients in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the blended guac to a serving bowl
What are you stuffing in your mouth or piñata this Cinco de Mayo? Hit up the comments section!